This is great if you have had a tummy bug or just feel your digestion needs a rest. I have suggested an amount of stock but basically you fill the pan to what you feel depending on whether you like a thick or thin soup. I like to have it chunky but the kids prefer it blended.
I poach a chicken and then use the stock and meat from this to make double portions of this. It's a handy lunch for my husband and I to have on school days when the kids take a packed lunch. You could throw in some chillies or other ingredients as desired.
1-1.5 litres of chicken stock (homemade ideally)
Cooked chicken chopped into small pieces including chicken skin (approximately a handful per person, more if you want a thicker soup)
1/2 butternut squash
1 large onion
3 medium carrots
1/2 broccoli (optional) Stalk removed
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up the carrots and squash into small chunks.
- Break the cauliflower into small florets
- Chop the onion finely
- Put all the vegetables in a pan and add the chicken stock
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are just tender
- Add the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes
- Ensure chicken is piping hot before serving