Thursday 12 March 2015

Blueberry muffins


There was a horrible moment when I first made blueberry muffins as I folded in the fruit and saw the batter turn a murky blue  colour.  I was relieved to see that when cooked they become a beautiful golden colour! 

I love these as quick breakfast or lunch box addition. 

If you are dairy free just omit the small amount of butter - last time I made these I forgot it accidently (it had been left in oven melting) and they turned out fine. 

I like the warmth you get from adding all spice or nutmeg (my all spice is a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove).  This could be left out or exchanged for plain cinnamon. 

I like to use frozen blueberries as they are cheaper, more convenient and normally have more flavour. 

Ingredients 

250g ground almonds 
80g honey 
45g butter 
4 large eggs 
1 tbsp vanilla 
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 
Pinch of salt 
1 tsp mixed spice 
100-125g blueberries 

Method 

- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/160c fan /180c for muffins or Gas Mark 3/140c for smaller cakes 
- Melt the butter in the oven 
- Sift the almond flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl 
- Mix the eggs in the food processor.  Add the honey, vanilla and melted butter and mix again 
- Add the dry ingredients to the blender and combine 
- Pour the batter into a large bowl and very gently fold or stir in the blueberries 
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and put in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes.  Check to see if toothpick comes out clean, if not give another five minutes and check again 


No comments:

Post a Comment